Thursday, September 10, 2015

Oh, I Love You Too


My phone rang with my father on the other side saying, "Ashley, come here as soon as you can. Grandma isn't doing well." Apparently, her breathing was fading. I gave her a hug and a kiss for one last time, making sure to let her to tell grandpa that we said hi and that we loved her.

My grandma was so sweet. My favorite times were going to her house on my lunch break. She would insist that I would need to put more weight on, and would always have cheese and crackers, soup or cereal waiting for me while we sat and talked. Some nights, I would even spend the night with her along with Brittany. Most of those nights, we would spend watching old Western movies or just chit-chatting about life.

As she got older, she moved to multiple homes. She was shy and conservative while she was younger, but as her memory started to fade, she would make you laugh until your tummy hurt. One time she told my dad he was cheap because he wouldn't give her any money to go to the grocery store to get groceries. (She was in the nursing home at the time, lol). She would have this little laugh too when she knew she would say something funny and would watch us laugh. Although her memory was gone, she would always remember, like anytime she would greet us, if we wanted something to drink (mostly a beer for the adults).



With the times when she grew up they wouldn't just come out and tell each other they would love each other. However, when I would tell her I loved her, she would say in her sweet voice, "Oh, I love you too." How I miss that voice. Sometimes I think that they know when the end is near, as she repeated to my aunt a couple days before she passed, "You know I love you, right?



Grandma, I love you and miss you.



1 comment:

  1. What a sweet sweet Grandma and what sweet sweet memories!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being so lovely! :)