Monday, February 9, 2015

What I'm Not Doing

 

It is getting to be weeks away until we put our house up on the market, and what am I doing about it?

Nothing.

Instead, I am curled up by the fire in my pj's. I have been sick since Friday this past week. I woke up with a sore throat that hasn't gone away, and it moved into a cold? It seems like it getting better, but then BAM, you feel bad again. Let's just say I am taking shots of cough medicine. I hate being sick as an adult, but I loved it as a kid. Why?

I got pampered by my daddy.

Some of the best memories of when I was little was having my Daddy make sure I was feeling okay. He would take my temp, bring me cereal (Lucky Charms to be exact, because apparently that's what I would eat as a kid when I was sick or not).

I remember being really sick when I was little. I was so weak that if I tried getting out of bed, I couldn't even stand and would fall anytime I tried getting out of bed. My dad would carry me to the bathroom or anywhere in the house of where I wanted to be. He just always took care of me. (My mom would take care of me too - she would take me to my doctors apts, but I remember my daddy taking care of me during the days since he worked night at that time). My mom was worried sick that it could have been something serious, and by the time they decided to run tests weeks later, I started feeling better. Now when I look back at it, for some reason I think I had maybe a bad case of food poisoning.

I remember going to the doctor so much when I actually looked forward to seeing his familiar face because he too was a caring man. Then one day he told me the dreaded news, "If you come in with another sore throat, then we're going to get your tonsils removed..." I never went to the doctor for a sore throat since. I asked my mom the other day, "Did Dr. M say that because I was faking it? Was I that kid? A faker?" "No, you always were sick. You weren't a faker. I had sore throats all the time when I was little too. I'm sure you will be at the doctors all the time with your kids too" Okay, well that makes me feel so much better that I wasn't a faker - if that is even a word. Now that I now know how much work it would be to take care of a sick kid, take time off of work, get an apt and make sure the kid gets their medication, I would have felt extremely bad if I made my mom take off of work for nothing.

When I first started dating Trav, the first time meeting Trav's dad, I became sick. Travis made sure I was okay and ran to the store and got me medication and anything else he thought I might need. His dad teased me saying it was because I had too many Long Islands (I'm not a big drinker, lol), and even though I would rather have a hang over at the time rather than whatever my body was fighting.

Travis has been my care provider since. He will run to the store, make sure that I'm comfortable and that I'm taken care of, and does ice cream runs (because you need ice cream for a sore throat of course), etc. In that sense, he is like my daddy. Although, he has learned how difficult I am with medication as I told Travis, "Don't get me anything cherry." When Travis came home, "EVERYTHING is cherry." (I'm surprised he found anything instead of saying: suck it up buttercup). LOL. My mom laughed as I told her the story, "I remember that..." My mom would do anything to give me medication and I would always discover it and wouldn't take it.  "This tastes funny!" "You tried hiding a pill in my peanut butter sandwich?!" Gasp. I was impossible. I don't think much has changed. Ha.

My other care provider is my sweet Trigger. He won't leave my side when I'm sick. He then gives me kisses as to tell me it's going to be okay. He's such a sweet boy.

This week my plan is to eat as much ice cream as needed to "help" my throat. Ha.

*Thank you babe for taking such good care of me this week. You are such a good man. I love you.*


1 comment:

  1. That's sweet. One of the things I love most about Adam is how it takes care of me when I'm sick, I never thought to connect it to what kind of parent he will be!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being so lovely! :)