Sunday, February 22, 2015

The Day I Was Saved Over a Bag of Chips

A bracelet Kate got me after I received 
Jesus Christ as my personal Savior

Kate is not only my best friend, but she is someone who inspires me. I'd have some really deep conversations with her about faith once her mother passed. Kate's faith was so admirable, that I wanted to know more it. Kate's mother was not only her mentor in life, but her spiritual mentor.

One day while I was talking about God with Kate, I told her I believe in God, but I never heard him. This made me sad, because I really wanted to feel like God and I could talk, and I didn't understand why I couldn't hear anything.

Kate asked, "Do you remember when you said the prayer?" Wait, what prayer? 

Kate went further into speaking about things. And although I tried to listen, I felt like my mind kept wandering. I was a believer, but why wouldn't I remember this? She started talking about how her her mom was saved; her mom had a dream that she was going to go to hell, and then that's when she turned to God. 

Then I started wandering was I saved? Well... I was baptized. Doesn't that count?  I have always believed in God. Did I read his word though? No. Did I talk to him much? No. Did I listen for him? No, not really.

After I got off the phone. I prayed. I prayed hard hoping that I would hear God. I wanted to hear him and get to know him better.

Kate then emailed me with some of the most encouraging words:


"I'm so excited for u and the journey God is taking you on. We can pray anytime, I prayed for u guys again today. I will continue to. The prayer is your personal acceptance of Jesus into your heart, baptism usually comes later when you are ready. Baptism is the public proclamation of your faith and the decision you made to accept Christ. So it's def something you should do when u feel led to and ready to make that proclamation. I am so excited for you! I talked with Steven about it again bc he couldn't remember saying it ever either, he said my mom told him if he didn't remember saying it then he probably never did. He also said that after he prayed it he knew he never had bc he realized he couldn't have ever forgotten an experience like that. I thought that was really awesome, hopefully encourages you too! Love u!"

As the days progressed, I prayed more. I wanted to see, hear, and listen to things differently than I have had before. So I kept praying.

One day I noticed that I was noticing things that I've never really paid attention to before. Things were different. Usually I focused on the negative things in life, but I saw such sweet things right in front of me. I praised God for letting me encounter these little things and for seeing more hope in the world. 

Soon I even felt like I started to pray differently. Like my prayers weren't just "watch over my friends and family" it was more in depth. This is one time I know my prayers started changing.

After feeling different about my faith and wanting to continue to grow with God, I wanted to say the prayer with Kate. Yet, about every time it was going to happen, something just got in the way. {Either one of us had to get off the phone, someone came to the door, etc..}. Something just didn't allow me to say the prayer. 

On top of that, I felt like it had to be perfect; including the day of the week, time, the weather, etc{I'm laughing as I type this, ha}. I guess I thought that was because it was a day I was going to remember forever and it needed to be the perfect day. How silly. But then one day it hit me. It doesn't matter what day it was, as long as my whole heart was completely devoted. So again I prayed making sure to see if I was honestly and truly ready; hoping there would be a sign that I was ready.

.
..
.

One night I had a dream that I was at a gas station about to check out. At the register, there was a man dressed in cloth robes, speaking to the gentleman in front of me while I was waiting in line. I heard my name being called. I was confused because it seemed like it was him calling my name {as a matter of fact, he acted like he gave me a sense like he was waiting for me}, but at the same time it wasn't like he was calling my name. My name kept getting called (I guess I can describe it kind of like a loud speaker}, but although I heard it as clear as day it seemed as if no one else heard the loud speaker, or was even aware of what was going on. I must have looked pretty confused because as I approached the register to check out,  the gentleman at the register told me that I needed something else. He got out from behind the counter, and lead me to a next aisle over.


For some reason, I felt like I needed to follow him. He just happened to lead me to the potato chip aisle {which is kind of odd because in real life I never seek out potato chips at the store/gas station}. He then pointed to the chips that he wanted me to get/notice.


Saves.  "Saves" was the name of the potato chips. 

Okay... I wasn't sure what that meant and was probably more confused. 

He kept pointing to the word "Saves" and after a little bit I finally understood what it meant; I gasped, and he smiled. 

.
..
.

I immediately woke up from my dream and knew what happened; God was telling me that he wanted me to say the prayer and that he affirmed that I was ready. 


I laughed to myself because of course He would give me a dream that was so obvious to only me. If it had been a dream with hidden messages, than honestly, I don't think I would of understood what exactly was going on.

On Feb 19, 2014, I said the prayer with Kate. {Kate is my spiritual mentor and I have learned so much through her that I am so glad I was able to say it with her}.


Lord Jesus, I'm like everyone else - I can't make it through life on my own. I'm imperfect. I'm prone to sin. I have come to realize that there's nothing in the world I can do to make myself acceptable to You. But I know that You have loved me so much that You were willing to submit to the cross and die on my behalf. That's a grace so amazing I cannot understand it; I can only accept it. And I do. I accept Your free gift, and I know that from this moment on, I am saved. I am a child of God. And I give the rest of my life to serving You and experiencing the joy that only You can offer. Fill me now, dear Lord, and raise me to walk in the newness of life. I thank You and praise You! Amen.


There was a sudden rush of peace filling me up at that moment. It was like nothing else. And that perfect day that I thought I needed, even though it was nothing as I planned, it turned out to be just that: perfect.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for being so lovely! :)