Sunday, November 16, 2014

Surviving Black Magic

{One of the most beautiful sunsets I've seen. Indiana Sept 2014}

One more thing to cross off the old bucket list: driving a stick shift car. Let's be honest here though, that wasn't really on my bucket list, but now since it's done and over with, we will add to that to it and  cross it off. Ha :)


Who would have known that when we were looking for a new car, that a brand new Toyota Corolla 2013 would even have that option. It is a 2013 for peep's sake! {Isn't this century with the program yet?} It happened to be the best deal when it came to our car shopping experience. It was brand new with a warranty. I would just have to get over my fear and face the music. I just hoped I didn't have to drive it.

But I did end up driving it. Okay, only a couple of times for the entire year and it just happened to be around the neighborhood. I hated it. {Hate is a strong word, but completely accurate for how this car makes me feel}.

It scared me to death, making me so full of fear anytime that I felt like I was having a panic attack just thinking about it. I would literally cry like a baby. {Trav video taped my melt down once, but I will spare you that horrendous video.}

But after hearing my mother in law breaking down about the four hour mark after leaving our house, and another four hours to get home, I was scared about Big Red's travel ability. After 17 years, Big Red, just isn't the same as he once was. But I had to get back home, and tried practicing for the month prior, knowing full well that it was coming.

So I drove 9 hours, with 3 dogs in the car. It was terrifying, especially when I got in traffic. I prayed a lot hoping that nothing would happen {and thankfully I had some great people praying with me.} And when I got closer and closer to where we were from, I finally relaxed with each coming mile.  

I drove that dang black car everywhere during that week that I was in town and surprisingly, each time I drove it, I only got worse and worse. You would only think you would get better. There were some hills that I got stuck on, but thankfully I managed just to laugh about it after I cursed them out a couple of times. {Take that you hills because you know it really scared them}. And I may or may not scared my sister to death while driving, but we survived. 

When I finally got home though {back to TN}, I swore to Travis that I would not be driving it unless I needed to. Since then, I haven't had to be in the drivers seat since. THANK GOODNESS. My hope is that I never have to drive that dang car again.

{I did like the fact that Black Magic did happen to have working air conditioning though - that may have been one of his most positive aspects}.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for being so lovely! :)