Monday, September 8, 2014

What to do When People Hurt You


There is a world of hurt. Doesn't everyone somehow let you down at some point? Even the person you trust the most?

Some things that you may argue about are not really significant. Learn to let first response to let it go. If not, you won't have energy to deal with things that do matter.
*How you act says a lot about your relationship with Jesus.*

The Common Responses to Being Hurt:
1. Seek Revenge {country vs. country, ethic groups, etc}
2. Passive Aggressive Behavior {"Don't worry about me, I'm just fine..., deliberate having person waiting on purpose, "kill them with kindness", "poor me", gets everyone to feel sorry for them, etc}
3. Gossip and Talk Behind Someone's Back {See how many people you can get on your side}
4. Practice Avoidance {Not only with other person, but when you hurt yourself are you going to avoid yourself?}


Matthew 18:15-20
"If your brother or sister sins, go out and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. But if they do not listen, take one or two others along, so that 'every matter may be stablished by the testimony of two or three witnesses. If they refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or tax collector. 

Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you lose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them"

{Jesus loved the tax collectors and the pagans - he would also pray for them.}

What Jesus Tells His Followers to do When Hurt:
1. John 8:32 Know the truth. Be still and know who God is. Not Deal with raw emotion.
2. Go to Someone Confidential Seek Wise Counsel. Someone you trust.
3. Go as a Follower of Jesus who Really Wants Reconciliation and go to person {without fear of being emotional and physically abused) and confront. I want good for you. I believe you want the good for me.}
4. If They Don't Listen to You, Take a Couple of Caring People With You {Who care about the both of you. If they still don't listen, let the Church know}
5. Treat Them Like One Who Needs Jesus. {Table of forgiveness and grace. Don't want to hurt them. Go with heart and humidity.}

Jesus died for the other person {as well as you}. Pray for them and want Jesus to come to their heart. When others see your love with Jesus, it will make other witnesses. 

Witnesses will change the world.

This message was taken from Northside United Methodist Church



2 comments:

  1. I believe that friendships and relationships are two-way streets. I may not seek revenge against someone or gossip about them, but I will end my association with them if necessary. I believe that they have to be a friend/family member to me, instead of just me being one for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. I have stayed at a distance from people who are not true friends. I still think about them and hope their life is going well and still pray for them.

      <3 Ash

      Delete

Thanks for being so lovely! :)