Monday, September 15, 2014

Forgiveness


How you say things makes a huge difference. It can tell the real intent of what your heart says. 

Forgiveness is hard work. It is even harder to ask for forgiveness. 


Matthew 18:21-22

"Then Peter came and said to Him, "Lord how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?" Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven"

Forgiveness is not:

*Saying that wrong is okay {Not okay to hurt someone}
*Forgetting what was done and allowing it to continue to be done
*Putting yourself in harms way

Get honest with Jesus. How do we stand? What's inside your heart? 


Matthew 6:14-15

"For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive other their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."


The way we live as followers of Jesus. God doesn't want you to end up with bitterness, resentful, angriness. Otherwise, this will by eating the life out of you.


Forgiveness is:

*Admitting your own sinful nature {you hurt people too}
*Willing to see the "image of God" in another {Everyone is made in the image of God. How do we pray for them?}
*Unwilling to allow to let bitterness, resentfulness, angriness to fill your heart. {If this fills your heart, you are not treating people the way you should}

John 10:10-11

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep."


Jesus waits, ready to forgive you,
And then help you forgive others!


This message was taken from Northside United Methodist Church





2 comments:

  1. Forgiveness is something that I don't do easily. I don't intend to be bitter and resentful...I just feel that, at a certain point, you have to remove toxic people and unhealthy influences from your life. Not forgiving some people has actually freed me because I don't spend time worrying about what they will do next, whether they are really being honest when they say this, etc. I am on the other side with a couple of people - I wasn't very nice in high school, and they haven't forgiven me. I respect their decision to no longer associate with me, even if I am not the same person who I was eight years ago. Sometimes people are not meant to stay in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing that we should all realized is that is people aren't the same as they were in the past {as you were saying}. People mature, people grow with experiences, etc. and I think that is a good thing. I just hope other people can realize that and not let hate into their heart.

      <3 Ash

      Delete

Thanks for being so lovely! :)