Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Joining the Army Reserve?


Travis has been talking about wanting to do something with the military since we started dating. 

Then someone came in and spoke to his class about joining the Reserves. He came home excited about it, but I refused to talk about it, not wanting him to join (I was being selfish). He stopped talking about it since he knew it wasn't getting him anywhere.


Then a month or so ago, he brought it up again.


This time though, I listened because for him to bring it up again, means that he is still thinking about it. He told me all about the great benefits along with the cons of joining. 


Benefits:

*It could maybe help him get into a VA hospital - which is something he may want. 
*We will get money every month that won't go towards school loans.
*We will get up to $50,000 to pay towards school loans.
*Health and dental are $60 a month.
*Due to his education, he will be entering with a higher ranking.
*Only having to serve the weekends once a month. 
*He will have to be gone for two full weeks during the year (however, from the sounds of it, I can go as well, and we can get a hotel) for training.
*If he wants to (which Trav would love) we can ask to go to a certain place for a year (Travis really wants us to go to Germany).
*Will only have to serve for two years of being "active" after he graduates.

Cons:
*Maybe being called over seas. However, he would be in the hospital setting. 

But.. you never know how the world works or when something might happen.


So we prayed about it and I am okay with it. I feel like if something would be stopping us, God would fill my heart with uneasiness about the whole situation. AND, the thing that made me feel much at ease is knowing that if my cousin, solider I adopted, or any solider at all got hurt, than I would want Trav (or someone like him) taking care of him.


He talked to a recruiter and everything sounds good and that he would be able to join, except for the fact that he has to:


*Lose 2 inches or twenty pounds. 


That's a lot. So that could stop this whole process, but Trav is determined. And usually when he puts his mind to something, he accomplishes it.


Since probably late November, Trav has lost twenty pounds and is looking and feeling great! His clothes are baggy, and his belts are one loop from not fitting (although they used to be too small before).


So now, he is determined that he loses these inches as soon as he can. 


The last time he was twenty pounds lighter was when he was a sophomore in high school. He currently weighs less than when we got married.


I feel as though if he is unable to join the Reserves, than that is God's way of saying not to go.


Travis worked as hard as he could after finding out how much he had to lose. He worked out a lot, ran a lot and watched what he ate.


On April 30th, he went in to talk to his recruiter and to see if he lost anything more.


He lost the two inches. (Yes, in that short amount of time). I am so proud of him because he has worked so hard! And when he's determined to get something, it usually happens.


So on May 19th he's doing a Physical test. He seems to be excited about it all, but he told me something else I wasn't expecting to hear.


After his two years of being active, he could still get called overseas six years (totaling eight years). But Trav said the last time that happened was during the Vietnam War, so he is not worried. But that doesn't make me not worried.


I'm not trying to be selfish in this whole thing that I want my husband to be home the entire time, and what military wife doesn't want. All wives want is their husbands to be safe. 


I just worry. I don't like all the uncertainty involved with this all. I know I need to give it all to God.



"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything,
 by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present 
your requests to God. And the peace of God, which 
transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts 
and minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

Please send some prayers our way. 



2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know, I just get worried sometimes and always think the worse. It's in my nature. LOL.

      <3 Ash

      Delete

Thanks for being so lovely! :)