Wednesday, February 20, 2013

My Faith

Matthew 5:14-16 "You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."

As we talked today about how to be a "light" in the world, a question was asked that really stuck with me.

"If you were to go on trial today, would you have at least one person testify that you are a Christian?"

Anyone?

....*Crickets*....

I am not the perfect Christian. I am a person of faith in the good Lord & Jesus, however, not many around me would probably even know I am a Christian - since I don't bring it up unless someone talks to me about it. I haven't read the bible and many of the chapters are unknown to me. I don't do daily devotions. And I have even done things in the commandments where it states that I shouldn't. I told Travis, that if we were to go on a mission trip, I don't think I would be ready because I don't know enough about God to be able to spread his word.

However, I feel like I am growing in my faith. I have always known God, but I haven't actually lived in his word. I would die for my faith, but I am not a person who "promotes it" and tells everyone that their way of living is right/wrong. I don't want to be a judgemental type of person (even though, I can be). 

Not too long after I graduated and I was working and putting clothes away while working at JCPenney, a random person came up and found me (I was hidden in the distance) and said something I will never forget. "Jesus loves you." He proclaimed with a smile on his face and walked away. 

That moment may have been awkward to many, but to me, it was the moment that changed me to become a stronger believer. I needed that. I was having a difficult time in life. This random guy, who I had no idea who he was or what he did, but he told me the words I needed to hear. My eyes started watering, and I needed to take a breather. This was a message for me.

Now, I didn't go all crazy Bible-hugging after that. No, I was too obsessed with certain things in my life to really truly want to learn anything. I just knew that Jesus loved me and that I had a purpose - that God made me to do something.

What that something is, I'm not really sure. However, although I haven't heard God's voice, I am pretty sure that he wants me to somehow to help others. I believe I am meant to adopt and to love others who doesn't have a chance of love by others.

I am not a leader and I am horrible with my words and writings. I would seriously probably have a heart attack if I had to speak in front of others and was put on the spot. That is not me.

I am a follower though and I may not speak the words out loud, at least I surround myself in that sort of home. I want others to be able to reach out to me one day if they'd like. And I want my kids to know and want to learn about Jesus. I want our family to go to church and be able to pray for each other, without feeling the need of being embarrassed.

I want to be a good Christian.

And the only way to do that is by to set an example, than I am willing to do that because you never know who may be watching you.


1 comment:

  1. I have to hope and believe that many people in my life would know I was a Christian! Although I certainly could do a better job at it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being so lovely! :)