Sunday, February 3, 2013

Ice & a Bridge do NOT mix

Since I have started my job, I've realized that job is very different than any other job that I have worked. At my current job, they have a "point system". Basically, points are given if you get a point if you're a minute late, you get a point if you a minute earlier, you get a point if you don't come into work, and if you don't call into work saying you're going to be late (at least a hour in advance). I've never had to deal with something like this. I'm not saying that being late to work is an issue for me, but if I was a minute or two late, I didn't have to worry.

Basically, this point system thing terrifies me.

This morning, I left earlier than normal because I knew I had to pick something up at the grocery store for a luncheon at work. I was driving down the bypass on a bridge when all my car started to swerve. I panicked and hit my breaks. The front of the car hit side railing and my car did a 360.

I felt like I was going to die. It was so scary. When I realized that I was okay, that I didn't cause another car to get into an accident, and that Big Red made it through, I thanked my lucky stars.

If you guys don't know Big Red (my grandma used to call my grandpa red) has been with me a little after my grandfather passed away. Big Red was my grandpa's car. Some of the last words he was able to make out (which at the end of his life, speech was getting very, very difficult) was that he wanted me to have his car. Since then, I've always felt like my grandpa spirit cruises around with me in the car. Yesterday, I felt like an angel was watching over me because if that railing was there, I could have been thrown off the side of the road into a ditch. 

I was so shaken up, that tears swept my face. I was shaky. I called Travis and told him what happened and told me to calm down and "Who cares if you get a point for work anyways?" He's right. I was so terrified of getting a point at work, I rushed into work after the incident and didn't take care of myself first.

When I got into work, my boss agreed with me that it was slippery inside. When she saw me shaken up, she asked "Do you have insurance?"


Really???


You don't even bother to ask if I'm okay? If I need to take a couple minutes to pull myself together before I start work?


I mean, I could have died! (Okay, it wasn't that bad, but it was the scariest thing that has ever happened in my life).







After that, with many other reasons, I have decided to quit my full-time job. I will take on more hours at my other job. I'm scared to quit (since I have never worked a job for a month and decided to quit), but with this full time job it is supposed to be "all about their employees" but with all their rules and how they act, they don't care about their employees at all. I have never worked for a company who doesn't give a care about any of their employees. So if they don't care about me as a person, then I don't need to care about them either.




1 comment:

  1. I am glad you are okay! That's the main thing! It's a shame that you you're leaving as I know you were excited to land this job!

    But that point system is demoralising! Surely they have other better things to be doing than clocking you
    in and out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being so lovely! :)