Wednesday, January 2, 2013

January Food Ideas

So I discovered this blog that I'm in LOVE with thanks to Pinterest! It's called Blissful and Domestic - Thrifty Living, Homeschool and Big Smiles. It has so much helpful advice on being thrifty. This girl seems to do it all - homeschool her children, be a loving wife, live on a strict budget, makes wonderful meals, AND seems to have enough time to share everything she does on her blog. She seems like a wonder woman.

One of the things I have learned from following her post is: grocery shop for a whole month to save money on groceries.


...What?? How do you do that???... You can read all about it on her blog that is uber amazing.


Since we're now on a budget ourselves (okay, so maybe we're just watching our money), I tried to do it. And when I went to the store, I was surprised how much money we actually spent. I thought it was going to be WAY, WAY more. I was thrilled when I came home and put our stuff in the fridge and pantry (mostly because it fit, unlike our old house) and it's just nice to know the food supplies you have. There may be some minor things that still need to be added, but it's my first try at this, and I'm pretty proud of myself. *Pat's self on back*


So here's my meal plan for the month of January. Now remember, I'm not for certain this is going to work for everyone, but for the hubby and I, I think we can make it work.



Breakfast Ideas:
English Muffins (we eat mostly these, so we have to go to the store a couple times because we run out of them otherwise)
Eggs/Bacon

Lunch:
Grilled Cheese w/ Tomato Soup
Refried Beans w/ Taco Shells
Cheese and Crackers
Tuna Salad
Salad
Peanut Butter & Jelly
Chicken/Ham Sandwiches
Chips and Salsa

Dinner: *There may not be a lot of meal options here for you that's because we use a lot of left overs from the night before, go out to dinner, or sometimes we have a light meal (PB&J) so make sure to plan accordingly*
Chili 
Tacos
Hamburgers (we wrap our hamburgers in lettuce to make it healthier)
Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu
Chicken Stir Fry (Chicken with just veggies)
Chili Cheese Dogs

We are planning on making enough food mostly for left-overs for the next day. Danielle, from Blissful and Domestic, states to get your staples through Costco, or Sam's. So we got chicken, ground turkey, shredded cheese, butter, etc. there. We tried to organize it as best as we could so it would be easier to find. 

Now you may be asking what our sides are - we're not a side types of people. When we do happen to do sides, usually it's frozen vegts/brown rice. We substitute a lot of recipes with healthier versions: brown rice, ground turkey, low-fat items. You can choose whatever you'd like.

We also substitute different seasonings for different things, whatever sounds good because half the time we don't have the seasonings/think other seasonings will work better.

This is what our shopping list consisted of:

Cheeses
Shredded Mozzarella 
Cheese in container (the cheese you cut off for crackers, whatever kind you'd like)
American cheese slices
Velveeta Cheese
Feta (for our salads)
Parmesan

Cold Stuff
Milk 
Sour Cream
Stick Butter
Butter in a container (Easier for English Muffins)

Meats
Chicken Breasts (We get a large one through Sam's)
Hamburgers
Bacon
Hot Dogs
Sausage
Ground Turkey (what we prefer)/Ground Beef
Deli Ham & Chicken

Vegts
Green Onions
Red Onions
Mushrooms
Green Peppers (at least 4)
Colored Peppers (yummy)
Potatoes
Celery
Carrots
Tomatos - large and small (small for salads)
Lettuce (now this is the thing that Trav LOVES and we're probably have to go back more often for)

Frozen

Frozen Vegts (for sides - we usually do broccoli and cheese)
Frozen Cauliflower
Frozen Stir Fry
Frozen Broccoli 

Cans
Tomato Soup - 3 cans (so we have extras, we love tomato soup)
Tomato Sauce - 1 can
Refried Beans - 3 cans (we love this stuff too for lunch)
Kidney Beans - 1 can
Great Northern Beans - 1 can
Cream of Chicken Soup - 1 can
Cream of Cheddar Soup - 1 can
Chicken Broth - 1 can
Chili No Beans - 1 can

Seasoning/Spices
Chili powder (we didn't have)
*Sauces/Seasonings that you may need*
Taco Seasoning - 2-3 packages

Boxed/Packaged Items
Brown Rice - boil
Honey
Crackers
Taco Shells
Bread
English Muffins
Hot Dog/Hamburger Buns, if needed (we usually wrap our hamburgers in lettuce to make it healthier)
Peanut Butter
Jelly
Mayo
Ketchup
Mustard
Syrup (we use "real" Maple syrup because we think it tastes better)
Chips
Salsa

Baking
Flour
White Sugar
Brown Sugar
Baking Soda
Baking Powder
Olive Oil/Vegt. Oil

We also had our list of randoms which included stamps, a trash can for the house, and etc. Planning and shopping for a month takes a lot of time, but it makes me so happy to know that we're pretty much set for the month. If we run out/forget something we can just run into the store and come right out, instead of shopping for anything/everything. You can try your own recipes and whatnot to make things better, you have to bare with me, as I'm not a big cook. Now, I'm not sure what days I'm going to make what - but I do know that I need to use up certain things first, such as the milk/vegts before they go bad.

I'll let you know how this turns out and will share some recipes as well.

P.S. I'm not sure how all these recipes will turn out, I haven't tried them all out yet. If you try/tried them, please let me know how they turned out so I know to delete them, or not waste any one else's time.





2 comments:

  1. I would love to do that, but I dont have the fridge space or pantry space! I guess I'll just keep doing my weekly shopping for now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea to budget! I nominated you for a Liebster award :)

    You can read all about it here http://mylifesomewhereinthemiddle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being so lovely! :)