Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Goals

Trav and I have been reading, "When's Life Not Working" by Bob Merritt with our study group.

Merritt encourages you to make a list of roles/responsibilities that you have in your life.


Trav's and I were about the same: (in no particular order)


-Work forty hours a week

-Be a good husband-to-be/wife-to-be
-Be an excellent family member and friend
-Be a fur mom and dad
-Be a foster mom and dad for a dog until we find it's forever home
-Pay bills
-Take care of the house
-Take care of the yard
-Study group member
-Church member
-Trav (golfer) - Ashley (blogger)

Bob Merrit suggests that you cross off the last three things of your list, but if we did that, we wouldn't have much. We would actually like to put more on our list. Trav has been here for two years now, and I have been here for a year, our lives are not full of anything that is just too much.


So, to add more on my list, I would like to add:


-To be healthier: this means going to the gym/running (which I have been doing a little lately)

-Open the Bible... God is our priority - so why have we devoted such little time to him?
-Make more time for friends/family. Being so far from them - I would like to call them more. Especially when they are going through difficult times.

... it's not much, but I don't want to overload.. lol. If I add these goals, it will match more with my values


1.) Have a close relationship with God

2.) Have a great marriage
3.) Raise a strong family 
4.) Be a loyal friend
5.) Raise Tater well :)
6.) Be healthy
7.) Have a meaningful career

In the long run, I want to enjoy my life. I don't want to regret things, and I want to stop putting things off. For example, you may want to go to school, so why are you holding back?  Don't always think about what if.... think about what you need to get in life where you want to be.


I love Merritt's quote that he states in Chapter 5, "If I study, then I learn. If I learn, then I increase knowledge, then I have opportunities. If I have opportunities, then i gain skills. If I gain skills, then I have options. If I have options, then I'm happy. If I'm happy, then I'm healthy. If I'm healthy, then I achieve, then I have influence. If I have influence, then I have impact. If I have impact, then I have a purpose."


Likewise, "But if I quit, then I fail. If I fail, then I'm dependent. If I'm dependent, then I'm not free. If I'm not free, then I'm unhappy. If I'm unhappy, then I'm miserable. If I'm miserable, then I'm poor  and lonely because nobody wants to hire, marry, or hang around dependent and miserable people."


"If always leads to then. Every decision is connected to an outcome, and the decisions we make today absolutely determine our experiences tomorrow. So what are you doing today that will make your tomorrow better? Because A always leads to B, if always leads to then."



What are your goals/values in life? Are you reaching them?


2 comments:

  1. I needed those quotes. I'm so glad I stumbled across this post. Cheers to a better life!

    DoublClik Photo Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a good book and it certainly puts things in perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being so lovely! :)