Friday, January 28, 2011

Shutterfly Review

Yay! It has finally arrived and I am pretty thrilled! You know how I mentioned that I needed to do our 2010 scrapbook? Well I did. Well it's not really a scrapbook - it's more of a photobook. Shutterfly was doing a special promotion that if you ordered by a certain time, you got 20% off of your order. I was in luck because of Best Buy, I was able to get a free 8X8 twenty page photobook, so I combined them together. I was able to make a seventy page photobook for a little more than $40 (free shipping after $40 too!).


I was a little disappointed with the size, but I guess I didn't think of what an 8X8 would look like. The title of our photobook is from a Dave Matthew's Band song titled, "You and Me" {even though apparently, I still got the words mixed up, ha}. 



I really liked Shutterfly but I wanted more of an appearance of a scrapbook. With Shutterfly you have to choose their layouts which only allowed a certain amount of backgrounds and little area to place text where you would want it. So many of my pages were left without text, which I really wanted more of. I didn't really love that part of Shutterfly. 

These colors look a lot more vibrant in person.

So I decided to give my photobook a personalized look, because that's more of what I was looking for. I really like stickers, so I had to add my own, which made it more customized. It might look a little trashy (does it make my photobook look trashy?), but it holds a lot more meaning. For example, for our Valentines Day, I trimmed down a heart sticky that I placed all over Trav's room. And on the next page, I put some 3D snowflakes to add some texture so the page wouldn't be so blah. 


I bought this sticker ("Our New Home") right when I found out that Trav bought a house. I couldn't of been happier when I realized that the sticker would fit perfectly on the page. Again, I was going for more of a customized look, and Shutterfly doesn't really have that. I tried not to go overboard on the stickers, because I'm not really sure how Trav will react, nor do I know if I will like them in the future, so I tried not to go too crazy, plus who knows if my stickers will fall off in the future.

Another thing that I am excited about is that with some personalized touches, I am able to add some of the paint samples and some little flowers that I put on my parent's invitation for their surprise 25th party. I would have shown you these pages (maybe I will later) but I couldn't find a dang glue stick.



I would recommend Shutterfly if you want something fast and easy.

Pros:

1.) It's easier than putting together a whole scrapbook
2.) Less time consuming 
3.) Decent coupons and deals that seem to happen all the time.

Cons:

1.) Not able to customize the pages as much as you'd like.
2.) Only a limited amount of text that can be added.

Update: If you're looking for a more customized look, check into Mixbook, it has great reviews. I like it better than Shutterfly. It's pretty easy, even though the tutorial is really short and doesn't explain everything. Mixbook is much more scrapbook friendly which allows you to put a huge selection of stickers, backgrounds, layouts and text wherever you'd like. This appeals to me more even though it is a little more costly and I don't really see any deals on it unlike Shutterfly. I'm pretty excited to see how our 2011 photobook will turn out. :) 



In no way did Shutterfly ask me to do a review. 
This is my personal experience with them 
and my own personal thoughts.



8 comments:

  1. what a super cute idea, love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is cool! I agree that it would be neat if it was more "scrapbookish", but you know, you can always add your own touches. It's a book, but it's your book, haha. I dare you; add a sticker. =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute...and a great idea!!! those will be so fun to have years from now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that so much! I really like the personal touches you added to it...definitely makes for a more special photo book! What a wonderful idea...maybe I should do something like that soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the embellishments you used. I've used shutterfly before and as easy it was, i really wanted more control over the picture placements, as well as the captions and stuff. I've been working on our wedding album for several months, and after doing a ton of research, I've found that Blurb let me do the most that I wanted. I remember looking into mixbook, but cant remember why I didnt go with it...

    let us know how the mixbook works for ya! i really love the blurb format, because you download the software and can do it all offline.

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the photobook - and your sticker touches! I'm excited to see how your 2011 one turns out, too - Mixbook looks fantastic. I finally ordered my shutterfly book yesterday and am anxious to see how it turned out. You're right - it was pretty easy. I didn't like the backgrounds much either - I would have preferred solid color backgrounds to the patterns they had.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really cool! I've been looking into doing a similar book and you have helped further inspire me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being so lovely! :)